Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Quince...

A new tradition for us is making quince paste about this time of year.  Up until three years ago, I had never even seen a quince.  However, now I am thinking we need to plant our own quince tree.  I did manage to trade some walnuts for a few pounds of this pear/apple relative.

They are very hard and very bitter.
Yellow skin.  White flesh. 

Lots of quince paste (aka membrillo) directions online and in old cook books.  I simply 
core them, 
take out any ugly spots, 
chop them up, 
cook them 'til soft, (with a bit of water so they don't stick or burn)
run them through a food mill,
put the pulp back in the kettle,
add the same quantity of sugar as there is pulp.
And cook.
And stir.
And cook.
And stir.
For a very long time.
Until the yellow turns to a deep pink.
Until it is very thick and the path of a wooden spoon through it doesn't disappear immediately.
Then turn it into a pan covered with parchment paper.
I love parchment paper.
Put it on top of the fridge for about a week until it is dry and a little less stiff than a gummy bear.
I love cinnamon gummy bears

After that keep it covered and in the fridge.  It will last forever. 
Serve with a dry cheese.  I put some on a ham sandwich yesterday.  Yum.

Quince Paste/Membrillo

2 comments:

  1. Interesting how it turns pink. Do you cut it up for storage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I cut it up and layer it between pieces of parchment paper in a tupperware-like container with a lid. The heat causes the quince to release an enzyme which changes the color. This is actually pretty light, I have had it turn to a deep red, almost maroon color.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete