Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Still bitchin' bout the rain.

"In spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt."  If only that were possible. It is unreal to think that summer is around the corner and we have had no spring, no sun, only cold and rain. Little, if any, opportunity to work outside and smell like dirt.  Since I got the wine barrels to make the raised beds for the garden, it has rained so much that I haven't been able to even take the barrels out of the back of the truck. 

This is today, right now.  June 1. 
I am surprised at how much a vegetable garden means to me, how determined I am to plant one in spite of the weather doing everything possible to deter me.  I am beginning to take the rain personally. As if to mock me, rain has just begun to pour down....again. 

This is our garden area.  We need weeks of no rain before we can even begin to think about getting the tractor in here to till this wet clay soil.
Well, will you look at that?  Until I just posted this I didn't realize that turkhead (also known as Lazuli Bunting) was sitting on the fence when I took this picture.  I was concentrating on the mud and water.  Hmmmm, is there some kind of life lesson here?  Regardless, I would like some sunshine and warmth, a little spring before summer arrives full force.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you can just plant the barrels this year and amend the soil in BIG garden this year then you can get the tractor in earlier next year? You do seem to be taking this personally ..so here's something to cheer you up.........Yesterday at the grocery store I bought the wrong kind of beer and ended up with ....Miller "lemonade" light beer......only 64calories!!! And it's good!! SO MAR, WHEN THE SUN DOES COME, AND YOU KNOW IT'S GOING TO.....DRINK LEMONADE!!!
    In fact, I think on some level you could call this a veggie and keep it in your crisper!!

    When life gives you lemons.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add that I am so jealous of your
    turkheads.........they look like they stuck their heads in a can of paint!!

    Love you.............

    ReplyDelete