Monday, June 6, 2011

Today....I smell like dirt



My raised beds are slowly taking shape.  The wine barrels made it home.

After taking them off the truck, I had to drill five holes in each of the bottoms and put extra nails in to hold the metal bands on.  Mr. Shoulder-to- the-Grindstone has been Mr. Busy-in-Front-of -The Computer on this project.  However, he was gracious enough to loan me a power tool, as he headed out the door to go have a beer in McMinnville.  You know a man loves you when he will loan you his power drill.  Hmmmm, is that true even when the tool in question is  held together with electrical and masking tape and you wonder if it is safe to plug the thing in?

That truly is masking tape above the blue button.
 After the holes and the nails, the barrels had to go back on to the truck to be moved over by the barn.  Then today I took the farm truck and went into town to get 3 and a half cubic yards of sandy loam top soil and compost mix.  Shoveling damp dirt from the back of a pick-up into wine barrels sounds like easy work.  Yeah right, maybe the first 6, but the last 11 were killers.  And then to top it off, I backed into one of the already filled barrels and now it is really off kilter.  (Mr. Busy-in-Front-of....I mean Mr.-Shoulder-to- the-Grindstone said he would help me fix it tomorrow with the tractor.)  It is very difficult to know where you are going when you are backing up and the only thing you can see is a big pile of dirt in your rear view mirror.

So tomorrow the fun begins!  I am going to town to get plants and seeds (and a pedicure). 

2 comments:

  1. Seriously , I just got done doing the same thing and it was brutal.....I am thinking
    pedicure AND massage!!!

    AND some of that lemonade beer......I'm just sayin............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raised beds in wine barrels, what a cool idea. Please update us with a picture when they are all placed and again when growth occurs. Yippee, spring is here!!!!

    ReplyDelete