Thursday, April 26, 2012

Early Spring Walk Around The Yard

Last year a friend gave me some native bleeding heart starts.  I wasn't sure that they survived the winter.  They not only survived, they thrived.  We had these growing up in Maltby, and it was always a sweet surprise to come upon them in the woods. I am so happy to have this right outside my door.  Thanks, Emily.

The bleeding hearts are in an area with ferns and other natives, so I think  they feel welcome.
Western Native Bleeding Heart -Dicentra Formosa
One of those other natives is wild ginger.  We have two large wild ginger plants.  The flowers are tucked away under the leaves, and can't be seen unless you lift the leaves up.  The plants were used by Native Americans to treat headaches, intestinal pain knee pain, arthritis, indigestion, tuberculosis, colic and as a general tonic.  Who needs aspirin?
British Columbia Wild Ginger -Asarum caudatum
Another native is Kinnikinnick.  I have always loved this little evergreen ground cover with its pink springtime flowers.  Might be that I just love saying the name.  The leaves were used as a traditional herbal medicine.  The berries were dried to be stored for winter soups and fried in salmon or bear fat.
Kinnikinnick -Arctostaphylos uva-ursi 
Still have not found any elk shed.  However, our neighbor took pity upon me and gave me a pair of shed that he had found. Not sure what I will do with them, but I think they are beautiful.  Thanks, Tom.

And one last picture.  Found this under the Sumac Tree.  I love the blue of a robin's egg.  However, this one most likely taken by a damn starling.
Robin's Egg Blue
Isn't it amazing what you can find when looking?

2 comments: