Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Little things...

I've been thinking about little things.
Little things that lots of people don't notice.
Things like leaf skeletons.
Leaf Skeletons
Things like the 7 porcupine quills
Pulled from Libby's lower lip.
Each end so very sharp.
Porcupine Quills 
This black monarch butterfly caterpillar.
Found in the garden on a dill sprig.
Came close to squishing him,
But decided to find out what he was.
My curiosity saved him.
Black Monarch Caterpillar
So today
When I heard a hummingbird 
Making a big fuss.
I went over to see what the little green thing was on the hummingbird perch.
A praying mantis.
Being somewhat misguided, I thought that the praying mantis was in danger.
Praying Mantis
So I did what any nature loving gal would do.
I removed the praying mantis from his high perch,
and placed him in some lower bushes.
Can you find the praying mantis?
(Just below the middle of the picture.)
The hummingbird continued to come around.
It dived bomb me a couple of times, 
which it has never done before.
It was obviously stressed, 
So I came inside.
Hummingbird
Curious about praying mantis and hummingbirds,
Praying mantis have been known to ambush and kill hummingbirds.
They can kill birds, frogs, lizards, scorpions, snakes, fish, and even small rodents.
Woah!  Perhaps they should be prEying mantis.
I have always liked them, 
But now I feel a little creepy about them.

I'm glad the hummingbird was astute enough to realize
 that the praying mantis was laying in wait on it's rusty garden perch.

And here I thought it was the praying mantis that should beware of the hummingbird.


1 comment:

  1. To enlarge the picture, click on it.
    The praying mantis will be below the center in the middle.

    ReplyDelete