Friday, June 8, 2012

Rhubarb...

Yeah! Besides hay, walnuts and timber, we now can add rhubarb to the "crops" sold from the farm.  Granted, only 20 pounds, but it's a start.  A year ago we expanded the number of rhubarb plants, as rhubarb seems to be very happy here, and it can be dry farmed. We won't pick any of the new rhubarb this year, but will give it a chance to get established.   Next year we should be rolling in rhubarb.


The rhubarb came from my dad many, many years ago.  Wherever I move, the rhubarb moves with me.  I was surprised and pleased to see how well it has done here in this cold, very wet, little valley.  My dad isn't sure of the varietal, so I have by decree renamed it "Harry's Maltby Red".  Harry, being my father, and Maltby, being the small Washington community where I grew up.   
Rhubarb: Before the picking.
20 Pounds of Rhubarb....with invoice!

So thank you, Scott and Community Plate in McMinnville for making us rhubarb farmers.
On a different note:  The last post asked if you could see the difference between the male and the female acorn woodpeckers.  Jane, my most long time friend from college, (not to be confused with old college friend) had the fastest right answer.  The female has a ridge of black on her forehead.  The male does not.


And on an even more different note: Happy Birthday, sister Terri.  

No comments:

Post a Comment