Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hazelnut Shells

It warmed up enough today so that I could go get filbert shells (instead of bark dust or something similar)  to much in the rock garden, flower beds, etc.  Even though I don't need the shells until spring time comes, the shelling company will run out of them toward the end of this month.  So if I don't get them now, I lose out. 

Being somewhat of a lazy ass, I didn't tarp my load, so had to come home at about 35 miles per hour.  I just pulled over to let folks behind me get by.  There wasn't much traffic, so it worked out just fine.  Sid helped unload the shells when I got home.  I think that sometimes my slowness/inefficiency drives him crazy.  But it was a nice day to be outside and get it done.
This picture of the blueberry corral with filbert shells around it was taken last spring.  The shells keep the weeds down and keep moisture in the soil during the summer, AND no slivers.

Sid built the blueberry corral from scrap lumber that was out in the barn. (I helped a little bit.) I love it, especially the door.  Hmmm, I need to take a better picture of the door.  It's just a regular old house door and looks so danged cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment