Thursday, January 27, 2011

Homeless Count

Yesterday, Sid and I joined some other volunteers to conduct the Yamhill County Homeless Count.  Throughout the country this is the week that people who do not have permanent housing are counted.  Funding to provide services is tied to the count.

In 3 hours we spoke with 4 folks who are homeless.  Ages range from 22 to 55, male and female.  To a person: nice, grateful for what they do have, no chips on their shoulders.  Each one of them thanked us more than once for taking the time to do the count and speaking with them.  Illness, a death in the family, addiction, loss of a job.... all contribute to current circumstance. 

I cannot even imagine what it feels like to not know where I will lay my head at night.  I cannot imagine planning my life around soup kitchen hours.  I cannot imagine how people manage to maintain hope after years on the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment